The Life and Times of Sayuri, Summer, and Regette

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Summer's Tents

So!

Yesterday, something very strange happened to me... I skipped school to look at college (I'm so cool) and managed to hit San Francisco and Monterey.

On our drive up there, my mom joked about if we met the head of the music department... then we quoted Gilmore Girls. Typical day, right?

Only thing is, when we went to Monterey... we did meet the head of the music department.

It was freaky. We walked into the tiny music building and the girl at the desk was like "let me see if he's in" and then we were just in his office, talking to him. It was so weird. I thought you had to make an appointment for something like that... needless to say, our "conversation" went something like this:

Him: Blahbledyblahbledyblah?
Me: Umm...
Him: Blahblahblahbedyblah. Blahblahbleh, blahdy?
Me: Umm...
Him: Blahahaha! Blahbedyblah.
Me: Thank you for taking the time to talk with me!

And... that's pretty much how it went.

Actually, that's an accurate summary of any conversation I have with anyone.

While the whole thing was just really awkward and I had no idea what to say, I actually learned something very important about the application process.

Apparently, I've been doing it wrong.

This whole time I've been worried about what uni would want me rather than about what uni I wanted. Apparently that's not the way to get a Ph.D... who knew?

After revising my research techniques, I've found four universities I'd like to apply to. Now comes the hard part...

To audition as a composition major for one of them, I must submit three completed and diverse compositions.

Three freaking compositions.

If I finish one, I'll be proud. But three? Kill me now!

Needless to say, the next few months to come will be incredibly intense. Intense, I tell you!

This whole process would be a lot more fun if it were done in tents... Get it? Intense? In tents? No? Hmm... maybe I'm a bit sleep deprived.

Anyway!

Speaking of the months to come, I have a question for my lovely ladies Sayuri and Reg. Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year?

I know Reg participated last year, but I don't know about Say... it sounds like something up both of your alleys! Selfishly, I'd love for you to do it since I'd love to read the finished products. But life isn't about you, Summer...

I had originally intended on participating, but it seems my coming months will be filled with a different kind of writing altogether.

So... are you participating? Let me know! If you are, link me to your NaNoWriMo profile.

If you aren't... I'm... sad.

Sign up here!

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

Less than three,

~ Summer

p.s. sorry this was such a boring post, but... yeah. Maybe this will help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GaKaGwch0U

No comments:

Post a Comment