The Life and Times of Sayuri, Summer, and Regette

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

This post has no title, just words and a tune-- Regette muses on music...and uses alliteration in the process

Hello world. Anyone listening? Besides my co-conspirators Sayuri and Summer, anyway?

When I put the elephantine 80's-esq headphones on and turned on my ipod touch for some bedtime tunes last night, I couldn't repress this feeling of nostalgia. I mused:

Songs are incredible things. Though I do not buy into that crap-ola one choir clinician told my choir, that "songs are landscapes to be painted" and "every song ever heard changes a soul." I doubt he's ever listened to "Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo" by the Bloodhound Gang. 

The magic of music lies in its power to evoke memory. Maybe its a person, a place, a smell or an emotion. Perhaps its all of these.

I won't bore you with talk of the temporal lobe and memory, so I'll get to the point:
The horrible truth of why I posted this? I need to find some new songs, because I'm pushing the shuffle button faster than a squirrel on methamphetamine. Every song is about my brother, my ex-best friend, the rat bastard, my mother. The ones that aren't tied to a specific memory stir that best-forgotten chill of unrequitment and loss.

Well, I guess there's always ABBA to turn to in times of need. I haven't found a way to make "Dancing Queen" depressing yet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sayuri or Summer, my darlings, I dare you to write a post solely devoted to coffee. I'm tired of seriousness today :P.

No comments:

Post a Comment