The Life and Times of Sayuri, Summer, and Regette

Monday, September 05, 2011

Best and Worst: Indie Music Edition

The other day, my boss asked me if my parents were really strict with my driving. "Not really," I said. "Oh, it's probably because you're the youngest. Parents are always the most strict with the oldest child," she said. You know what? She was right.

I remember the days when my parents would require my older sister to say where she was going when and with whom. By the time it got to me, the third kid, it was more like "Hey mom, Sayuri's picking me up to go to the movies and then we're gonna spend the night at Reg's house. ... mom? Mom, are you listening? ..."

Oh, how I love being the youngest.

Anyways, the radio station I listen to plays mostly acoustic-y, indie-type music. Calling itself "the perfect blend", it takes music from literally everywhere and plays it. Needless to say, there's a lot of JUNK. However, there's also a lot of awesome-ness! Therefore, I'm going to take this time to introduce you to some songs to give a listen and some to avoid like the plague. You're welcome.

Best and Worst: Indie Music Edition

Best:

- The Decemberists: "This Is Why We Fight"

Oh, the Decemberists. One of the best bands, in my opinion. I love almost all of their songs, but this one has been on the radio a lot recently and it's just so good. I think it's the kind of song that anyone could like, and most would understand. Five stars!

- Maia Sharp: "Death By Perfection"

Strangely enough, my mom introduced me to this song. I saw the lyrics on her bulletin board and asked about them, as that board is usually reserved for inspirational quotes and whatnot. It wasn't until recently that I actually heard it. Of course, this is a very hipster, "pave paradise"-y song... nonetheless, I like it!

- Mumford & Sons: "The Cave"

Such a good song. I first heard it on a cd my sister made for me, and I love it. I always get so happy when it plays on the radio. Mumford & Sons have an incredible folksy, honest sound. This song is no exception!

- The Kooks: "Naive"

This song is nothing new, but I still love it. What's not to love? They're british, for goodness sake! I love pretty much anything by the Kooks... also, this song played at the end of "17 Again". Hmm. Random.

Worst:

- Adele: "Rumour Has It"

Oh my goodness... this song. It's my worst nightmare. Actually, I take that back. It's my dream come true, as it's a song I can actually play on the guitar. See, I only know one chord. Luckily, this song requires hardly more than one chord, so it's very much in my league! Honestly... whenever this song comes on, I want to bang my head with a pipe, but only if the resulting vibration doesn't create a "d". Almost the entire song is in d minor, and almost the entire song uses those "oohs". It all sounds the same. The only interesting part is in the middle, when it starts sounding like something. Then it goes back. Kill me now. Honestly, it wouldn't bug me so much if I didn't know Adele was capable of MUCH better music.

- Shemekia Copeland: "Who Stole My Radio?"

Three words: Who. F*cking. Cares.

- Ray Charles: "Every Saturday Night"

A wise sister once called this the first draft of Rebecca Black's "Friday". That is the best way to describe this song.

- SuperHeavy: "Miracle Worker"

Awful, awful song. Every once in a while, I'll catch myself singing along with the chorus and I feel very, very ashamed. Honestly. This song is so obnoxious.

B-bye.

1 comment:

  1. ...am I the "wise sister" by any chance??
    I literately laughed out loud when I read the title "who stole my radio" comment.
    Also, I am actually listening to Mumford and Sons right now as fate would have it. The Cave is SUCH a great song!!

    ReplyDelete