The Life and Times of Sayuri, Summer, and Regette

Friday, September 09, 2011

"Damn girl, you should slow down"--Reg vs crosswalks

I never realized how inexperienced I was with this "adult life" thing until this morning.

Until this morning at 9:23 am, to be precise.

My day started with nearly being hit by a car on the way to class while trying to unsuccessfully cross a highway against traffic.

On my way back from class I was wolf-whistled at by a car full of men (bros, in Cinnamon's terminology. The ones that wear black socks and cargo shorts, salmon polo shirts and shades with neon frames.) I searched, perplexed, for the girl I thought they were calling at for a full minute before realizing there was only me. There is only me because I'm the one girl in my apartment complex stupid enough to take a three hour math class on Friday mornings.

Then I almost got hit by a car while trying once again to cross the highway before the annoying crosswalk voice told me I could. A friendly man in the car that almost hit me told me, "Damn girl, you should slow down."

Finally my only friend at UNCC, Leticia, wanted to go to the mall today. I have never used a bus other than for choir trips, so the nearly hour long ride was quite an experience.

And I haven't even had to transfer from one route to another yet.

I'm not sure how being a southerner and a city girl works for Leticia, but she does it with style.

Your butterfly,
Reg

No comments:

Post a Comment