The Life and Times of Sayuri, Summer, and Regette

Friday, September 30, 2011

Reg:“I don’t know, but hopefully I figure it out soon.”

When I woke up this morning, despite the imminent math class that would consume most of my Friday, I knew it would be a would be a wonderful day.
That assumption was wrong.
Now I know that today was destined to make me want to have one of those dramatic, break-down-sobbing-in-the-shower-scenes. Except I don’t do things like that—instead, I drink seven cups of coffee and do my math homework.
The story I am about to tell is the in-between time; what happened after my optimistic start this morning and before the seventh cup of coffee currently burning the roof of my mouth.


After spending three hours in Algebra class sketching my hand in the margins of my notes, I crossed the highway without incident and strolled home without accidently glaring at a single passerby (I find singing California Girls by the Beach Boys as I walk usually distracts me enough to prevent me from glaring.) I made myself a cup of delicious coffee and a quesadilla (lunch of champions), sighed dramatically about the amount of food my roommate and I have eaten since last Friday while pointedly glaring at his sleeping form on the couch, then hid in my room with my lunch and computer.
I logged into my email to find my checking account overdrawn; my landlord had cashed my rent check a day early.
What did I do?
I solemnly walked into the living room and cursed at my roommate until he woke up, then demanded he pay his share of the rent.
Next I curled up into a ball on the floor until he assured me that he transferred the money into my account (or rather, until my roommate called his father and begged for him to put money in my account.) Subsequently my roommate told me I need to get out of the house for a while because I didn’t look so good.
So I text the one person I know with a car—the boy from work. I asked him how he was and he said, “hey good you” (and in my infatuation I forgot that his statement makes no sense grammatically). To this I reply, in my usual strange and cryptic fashion, “I don’t know, but hopefully I figure it out soon.” I suppose I intended for my statement to replace an answer that would without a doubt end with me complaining about my shitty day.
It has been an hour and a half and he hasn’t replied.
Why did everything happen today? Why is the house nearly out of food? Why does my roommate sleep so much? Why do I have say such strange things to men? Why is being an adult so stressful?
Ha. Apparently, “I don’t know, but hopefully I figure it out soon.”

No comments:

Post a Comment