The Life and Times of Sayuri, Summer, and Regette

Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Story "Reaping the Reward", Let me know what you think! ~Sayuri~


Reaping the Reward
“Will you please state your full name for the court?” a robotic voice asked in the hushed room.
            “Sylvia Mae Thomas.” I said clearly, suppressing a cough.
            “Thank you. And, Ms. Thomas, You entered a “not guilty” plea for one count sexual harassment, one count assault with a deadly weapon, is that correct?”
            “No.” I whispered back.
            “I’m sorry, can you speak up please?”
            Coughing into my elbow, I met the eyes of the woman, steel grey against brown. “I said, no. I would like to change my plea.”
            “To…?”
            “Guilty.” The objections of my lawyer were silenced by the resounding knock of the gavel against hardwood. Turning my way, the judge grimaced.
            “Please state for the court what you did.”
            “I chopped off my husband’s genitals,” a few soft gasps from the women and a couple of groans from men seated in the courtroom echoed in the wooden hall. Thrown off, I glanced at the bystanders, took a breath, and continued. “and I placed them in the garbage disposal,” more echoing groans of sympathy pain from the men, “and I flipped the switch.”
            The prosecutor blanched, her face turning the same alligator green as her heels. “How did you commit this crime?” 

            “With a knife.” Every fiber of my nature screamed to add a “Duh”, but the mature side won out.
            The proceedings continued, the stiff wool of my dress rubbing uncomfortably, leaving a painful red mark against my cream-colored skin. I turned my attention to the man in black, attempting to make it look like I actually gave a damn about the sentence the court system was going to be giving me. A former paralegal, I was all too familiar with the red tape surrounding the court system. Watching criminals that should be locked away for life, roam the streets was my day to day. The judge’s voice popped in and out of my conscious mind like the AM radio in my Ford Focus. “…Guilty on all counts…Six years…No parole…”
            The metal pressed in on my wrists as the bailiff replaced the bracelets that would be my favorite fashion trend from here on out and walked me down the long, windy hallway. Wincing as the bright afternoon light assaulted my eyes momentarily, for as soon as I had been spotted, an eclipse of reporters thronged the court house steps. All kinds of questions and vulgar things were being yelled my way and a mousey looking girl stepped forward amongst the din.
            “Why did you do it?” she asked softly. Stopping in my tracks, I considered the small frame of the young woman, so like my daughter. She would get an answer.
            ‘Mama?’ five-year-old Annabel walked up to me as I removed the chicken dinner from the oven.
            ‘Hmm?’ I replied, focusing on not burning my arm on the hot surface.
            ‘Mrs. Davies sent a letter home with me, and she said you have to sign it so I can bring it back.’  
            ‘Okay dear, bring me the letter after supper and I’ll read it, okay?’
            ‘’kay, but don’t show Daddy. Mrs. Davies said it’s for Mommy.’ Annabel stressed the word ‘mommy’ and yanked anxiously on her braids.
            ‘Alright sweetie, go wash up.’ Annabel bounced off toward the main floor bathroom, the envelope the teacher had sent home resting precariously on the edge of the counter. Deciding to just get it out of the way while waiting for the rice, I slid my finger under the paper seal, cursing as a drop of blood ran down my finger. Unfolding the letter, I sat it beside the large bowl of salad, and red as I tossed.

Dear Mrs. Thomas,
            I would like to ask you to make sure Annabel brings extra clothes with her to class from now on, as this is the fourth day she has had an accident during class. I would also like you to work with her outside of class on sitting still. For the past couple of weeks, it seems as though a jitterbug has taken over. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call.
         Mrs. Eloise Davies
        Kindergarten—Lewis & Clark Elementary School
       (552) 613-9476

‘Annabel?’ I called out into the unusually quiet house. Silence returned to me, so I signed her letter and replaced it in her pink Dora the Explorer backpack. Grabbing the soiled clothes from the Walmart bag, I immediately took them to the washroom.
            The cold concrete floors sent shivers up my spine as I stood on my tiptoes trying to reach the Shout on the top shelf. Glancing at the soiled clothes, my eyes were drawn to the dried blood that accompanied the urine. Creasing my forehead, I looked at the soiled clothes from days previously and found the same thing. Blood and urine. The teacher’s letter ran through my mind….more clothes, sitting still…Annabel had been potty trained since she was 3…my thoughts took off, leaving the rest of me to robotically place the dirty laundry in the wash.
            A burning smell reached my nose and I took off running for the kitchen, trying not to slip on the hardwood in my socks. The rice! My thoughts shouted at me. Quickly removing the pan from the stove, the clock on the oven shone bright. 6:30. Where had that last half-hour gone? Irritated that Steven still hadn’t shown, I went looking for him and for Annabel who had gone missing somewhere in the process between washing her hands and coming back for supper. I followed the only noise in the house to my bedroom and tried to open the door. Locked. Frowning, I tried again only to get the same result. Locked.
            I knocked loudly, receiving no answer. I opened the door across the hall, the purple and pink area rug in Annabel’s room was littered with toys, but missing their owner. I heard Annabel’s cries from across the hall and pounded furiously on the door. A moment later a metallic click reached my sensitive ears and I flew through the door. There was Steven, hair tousled looking at me like I was a crazy lady, and on our bed was Annabel, tears flowing down her face. Giving Steven a harsh look, I walked over to Annabel. ‘What’s the matter sweetie?’ I asked, drying her tears. Her wide blue eyes looked up at me, a small hiccup escaping her lips.     
            ‘She refused to come downstairs when I told her it was time for dinner.’ Steven cut in, his voice harsher than normal. ‘I gave her a sound spank on the butt.’
            Placing a still distraught Annabel on my lap, I glared up at him. ‘We don’t DO corporal punishment in this house Steven.’ I reminded him. Rolling his eyes, Steven gave an odd look to Annabel and left the room.
            ‘Annabel, did daddy give you a spanking?’ I asked softly. The little head that had burrowed into my chest gave a slight turn that I took as a ‘no’. ‘Then why are you crying? Did he say something mean?’ the same little shake and my brow furrowed. ‘What happened baby?’
            Sniffling, Annabel held on tighter. ‘Daddy and I were playing a game like we usually do, but this time the game really hurt!’ she cried.
            ‘What kind of game?’ I asked, an odd sinking feeling taking over my stomach, making me want to gag.
            ‘It’s supposed to be our secret game. Daddy says Mama’s can’t play. But, these are the rules: Daddy says ‘I love you THIS much’ and he takes off his shirt and then I do the same thing. I say ‘Daddy, I love you THIS much’ and I take off my dress. And then he says ‘I love you THIS much’ and takes off his pants…’ My heart stopped and the reflex to kill boiled my blood. I forced myself to listen calmly, already plotting the ways to make him suffer. Annabel continued ‘…and the prick made me say ‘Ow!’ and then I started crying…I’m sorry Mama!’ my daughter looked up at me, shoving her now messy braid behind her shoulders. ‘Don’t tell daddy I told you…’kay?’ her trusting eyes met mine as I fought for some composure.
            I smiled back at the little face. ‘Okay honey.’
            We walked downstairs and ate a quiet supper, Steven not realizing that anything was wrong. ‘Annabel is going to stay at Molly’s tonight.’ I told Steven as I cleared the table, Annabel having gone to her room to pick out an outfit. ‘Molly’s mom called me earlier and asked if we minded if Anna could stay over. You didn’t answer your phone, so I said that’d be fine.’ Steven nodded and started to walk away. Reaching the door, he stopped briefly and turned my direction.
            ‘Bring me my coffee.’ And headed towards his den. I crushed six sleeping pills and mixed them in with his coffee and sugar, dropping it in the den as Annabel and I headed out the front door.
            ‘Be back soon, Steve.’ I said, clutching Annabel’s hand tightly.
            Forty minutes later, I returned home to see Steven passed out on the chair in the den. I set my purse on the entryway table and made my way to the kitchen. I took the largest, most serrated knife I could find and spent five minutes sharpening it slowly. The smooth black handle perfectly balanced in my hand. Walking back into the den, I poked Steven a few times with the knife to see if he’d wake up, and when he didn’t, I dropped his pants, the metal gleaming in the light from the television.

“Mrs. Thomas?” the mousey girl’s soft voice brought me back into the present wiping away the gory picture that was trapped in my mind.
“Sorry, what was the question?” I asked her, my thoughts still fragmented.
“Why did you do it?” I looked up into the sun, and thought of the bright smile Annabel had before all of this. Annabel.
“He deserved it.” I stated and walked away.

2 comments:

  1. Creeeeeeepy. I love it.

    If I had a "mayfield approved" stamp, I'd use it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

    Heartbreaking. Sexual harrassment happens every day. I only wish every case had such an ending as this.

    He deserved it. So many do...

    You, my dear, are an incredible writer. I look forward to the day when I see your books displayed in bookstores!

    ReplyDelete