The Life and Times of Sayuri, Summer, and Regette

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Summer's Success

Some people spend their time achieving success.

I spend my time observing other people's success.

Still others spend their time destroying other people's success.



I've observed this process. I've seen people rise from nothing and, with the help of the love of their fans, achieve success. I've seen them achieve success only to have it taken from them by someone or some people who turn their fans into haters. I've seen success obliterated into nothing in a moment. To have your love and respect taken from you in a moment seems to wipe away the long, hard work that went into gaining fans and achieving success. In fact, it seems to make all that work pointless.

If success can be taken away by one person, was it ever truly success?

If it were truly success, wouldn't it be too great and successful to be taken away?

When you win a game of monopoly, can someone convince other people that you didn't win? When everyone's convinced that you lost, does that mean you lost?

No.

However, if you're the only one who believes that you won, what good is that? Isn't the point of winning to have won?

Perhaps the point of winning is for others to accept and congratulate your success.

If this is true, then success is not truly success.

If this is true, then those who have achieved success are no more successful than me, the one who watches others' success instead of achieving it herself.

If this is true, then should I pursue the concept of success or accept my fate as a nobody?

Every time I try to answer one of my questions, a new question forms.

Questioning an answer has only ever brought me more questions, and yet I keep asking.

Is there a point to asking these questions?

If nobody asked them, would there be answers?

Why don't questions about answers mirror the questions that originally resulted in the answers?

One would think the question mark on my brain's keyboard would have worn off by now... somehow, I keep repainting it.

Somehow, I'm nothing without these questions.

If I'm nothing without these questions but there's no answer to them, then what good are the questions? What good am I?

I know this post isn't witty, informative or entertaining; in fact, it's just my stream-of-consciousness. However, I was afraid Reg would be annoyed if I didn't post. So here I am.

My original plan for this post was short and thought provoking, but it's turned out long and muddled... that's my mind for you.

Less than three,

~ Summer

1 comment: