The Life and Times of Sayuri, Summer, and Regette

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Summer's Back

So!

As most of you probably don't know, I've been at music camp for the past week and thus have been unable to post.

"But Summer," you say, "you totally did post like twice!"

Aha! Foolish mortals, I did NOT post! That was in fact Reg pretending to be me. Quite well, might I add.

In any case, I'm home and couldn't be more unhappy about it.



Camp was the perfect escape from my everyday worries.

I miss it so...

"But Summer," you rudely interject yet again, "why are you acting like you like orchestra camp? Haven't you totally posted like twice about how dumb it is and how much you hate it?"

Aha! Foolish mortals, you are correct. In the past I did have an unnatural abhorrence for music camp, as seen in The Capone Conspiracy and Summer's Peeps. This year, however, was different. I didn't realize just how different it was until I caught myself sitting there surrounded by a bunch of teenagers holding instruments more expensive than their prom dress thinking "there's nowhere else I'd rather be".

See, most of what I see on facebook are my "friends" getting drunk in some state or another. That's their idea of a fun summer. I personally would much rather share a week with kids that share the same passion I do. I don't take back anything I said previously, but I'm just adding onto it.

Yes, music camp is overpriced.

Yes, music camp is virtually unnecessary.

However, music camp is a beautiful and affirming experience. If I could go back in time, I wouldn't spend my summers anywhere else.

I didn't feel like this the entire trip. In fact, I believe it was the second day of camp that one particularly obnoxious kid was going on about the soul/spirit of his instrument causing me to coldly say "I'm pretty sure it's just a block of wood with holes in it."

He made no reply.

In any case, for the first couple days I was as cynical as ever. But after that, I realized that I was spending a week in a place I love doing something I love with people I, for the most part, love. It was amazing.

Unfortunately, I'm home now.

I have to worry about my summer homework, my job, my sister and best friend leaving to spend 4 months in China, my two best friends leaving for college, and my steady living/family situation that is anything but steady.

Reality has never been more of a bitch.

However, as spoken by the wise Sayuri this morning, "now our new lives begin."

Yes, our lives are changing radically. However, we will always have each other. I know this for certain.

Today marks the beginning of season 4 of our lives as the most diverse and similar trio known to exist.

It's going to be legen- wait for it-

Less than three,

~ Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment