The Life and Times of Sayuri, Summer, and Regette

Monday, August 29, 2011

Potentially vs. Realistically

Roommate: “So, this kid’s school assignment is to find the difference between realistically and potentially. He asks his dad and he’s like ‘Dad, what’s the difference between realistically and potentially?’ and the dad replies ‘ask your mom and your sister if they would have sex with the mail man for a million dollars.’ Well, the son comes back and tells him ‘they both said yes.’ Then his dad says, ‘well, potentially we are sitting on two million dollars. But realistically we are just living with two whores.”
I’ve been taught education increases political efficacy. After one week of college, I have less faith in the government than before.
My first thought: perhaps the statistic doesn’t apply to Political Science majors. The most likely answer, however, is that it doesn’t apply to me. I’m paranoid, skeptical, and I am unsure as to why I declared a major to begin with (besides my favorite excuse—‘declaring a major will be fun!’) I feel my peers are more of the ‘I’m going to change the world!’ types.
In the vulgar roommate-speak I use when communicating at home, “Salamski, poli sci is mind f***cking me. And it’s not even a good f*** at that.”
My Comparative Politics textbook begins with stating that we are taught an idealized version of history. I understand that the history I have been taught is biased, but now I wonder to what degree the facts have been skewed.
My biggest question: are we exceptional? What does our liberal democracy have that the 37 others don’t?
I’m a bit disappointed in myself for actively wishing we were better.
I wish I hadn’t mindlessly believed everything I was ever taught. Then again, now that I think about it, how do I know I’m not being brainwashed by this institution as well.
Potentially, I would’ve made a better philosopher; Realistically, I’m just a bitter poli sci major.
A butterfly,
Reg

No comments:

Post a Comment