The Life and Times of Sayuri, Summer, and Regette

Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Quick Note from Reg on Collard Greens

“What about collard greens?”
“What?”
“Collard greens.”
“I don’t know what that is, so I’m guessing not.”
“You’re tellin’ me you ain’t ever heard of collard greens?”
“What is a collard green?”
“It grows out of the ground, you know, like a weed.”
“Can I smoke it?”
This was my conversation over dinner last night—real Southern food. Interestingly enough, I had never heard of most of the foods my friend mentioned. I have been informed I will never be a Southerner until I have real southern food.
I also need to learn when it’s appropriate to say “y’all.”
When will I ever learn how to be Southern?
Your butterfly,
reg
p.s.

"Collard greens are various loose-leafed cultivars of Brassica oleracea (Acephala Group), the same species that produces cabbage and broccoli. The plant is grown for its large, dark-colored, edible leaves and as a garden ornamental, mainly in Brazil, Portugal, the Southern United States, many parts of Africa, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, southern Croatia, Spain and in Kashmir. They are classified in the same cultivar group as kale and spring greens, to which they are closely similar genetically. The name collard is a shortened form of the word colewort ("cabbage plant")."--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collard_greens

No comments:

Post a Comment