The Life and Times of Sayuri, Summer, and Regette

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Summer's Insult

Today a very gentleman-ly skater boy came into the shop. We made the typical small-talk while I made his drink. After a while, though, I started to wonder "is he trying to hit on me?" After he left, I checked my looks in the mirror. "Yep," I decided. "I would hit on me."

Anyways, back to the list!

16. Comment on the state of the industry. What's going well and what isn't going well?

Since this prompt doesn't specify which industry I'm supposed to comment on the state of, I'm going to choose the music industry.

The popular music industry, to be exact.

What's going well? Well, it seems that they're making an incredible amount of money.

What isn't going well? Well, it seems that there's no quality music involved.



Sure, some of them are talented. I'm sure Katy Perry and Lady Gaga can actually sing. There's no real problem with that. The real problem lies within the music, if it can even be considered music.

It seems that today's popular music relies on an image to sell music.

Justin Bieber sells his music by acting cute and telling 12-year-old girls what they want to hear.

Lady Gaga sells her music by trying to shock as many people as she can. Seriously. When people got used to her looking like a freak and dancing around in her underwear, she started taking the religion angle. Pathetic.

Katy Perry sells her music by singing about sex and trying to sound sexy in every single song.

I honestly have no idea why Ke$ha is popular.

LMFAO relied on a heavy beat and a chorus that gets stuck in your head to sell "Party Rock Anthem". That song is so f*cking repetitive it makes me want to beat my head against the wall, but I don't feel the song deserves that positive a reaction.

I could go on, but I don't want to insult any one's taste in music.

Not any more than I already have, that is.

Honestly, when did this happen?

When did music become all about the image? Why does it need a selling point? Music should be an expression, not a single sentence repeated over and over and over again.

In any case, those are my thoughts on today's popular music industry.

Personally, I'm disappointed.

I hope popular music makes a turn-around FAST.

Otherwise... I may have to start a revolution.

Less than three,

~ Summer

p.s. Every day I'm shufflin'.

1 comment:

  1. First off, how is it you ALWAYS manage to make me laugh within the first three sentences of everything that you post?
    Also...Yeah... I would hit on you too.

    And I completely agree with you on everything you said about the music industry today. We just might have to start a revolution.

    P.S. I don't know how they got there, or what they really are, but those little fish at the bottom of this page are adorable. Imagine my joy and surprise when after clicking on them to see what would happen, FISH FOOD floated down into their happy little fishy mouths!!! My life is complete.

    ReplyDelete