The Life and Times of Sayuri, Summer, and Regette

Thursday, August 11, 2011

What is Reg going to do with her life?

I thought when I was accepted to a University that people would stop asking me what I was going to do with my life. I was wrong.
Now I’m asked specifically what I’m going to do with my life. The conversations are eerily similar, and all go about like this:

Concerned Family Member: “Hey Reg, I heard you’re going to UNCC.”
Reg: “Yep.”
Concerned Family Member: “So you like the Carolinas then, that’s why you choose it?”
Reg: “I wouldn’t know. I’ve never been there.”
Concerned Family Member: “How did you choose your school then?”
Reg: “Well, it was as far away as possible. And it had a pretty name. Oh, I figure dad would come visit if there were a football stadium and a NASCAR track nearby too.”
Concerned Family Member, awkwardly chuckling: “What are you majoring in?”
Reg: “Political Science.”
Concerned Family Member: “So you want to be a lawyer?”
Reg: “Nope.”
Concerned Family Member: “A politician?”
Reg: “Definitely not.”
Concerned Family Member: “Why Political Science then; what are you going to do with it?”
Reg: “I like Political Science. I don’t know what I’m going to do yet.”
Concerned Family Member: “Why did you even declare a major?”
Reg: “I thought it’d be fun.”
Concerned Family Member: “…”
I’m going to UNCC, I’m applying for jobs, I have some savings; I’ll figure it out.  I just have to hope everyone else is not too disappointed by what I decide to do. No matter how much they want it, little “straight-A” Reg is not going to grow up into a lawyer, an accountant, or a doctor.
Your butterfly,
Reg

No comments:

Post a Comment