The Life and Times of Sayuri, Summer, and Regette

Monday, June 27, 2011

Summer's Occupation

On to number seven of the list!

7. Bust a Myth. What are common beliefs people hold in your industry that simply aren’t true?

I work in a coffee shop, and the one thing that people never seem to understand is that I am NOT a superhero.

I don't know if there's a movie or something in which the coffee shop employee was a superhero, but if there was then that CLEARLY applies to THAT employee, not ME.

Seriously, guys. They expect you to know everything. For example...



Directions

"Gee Bob, I don't know where that one restaurant that could be anywhere in this county is." "Well Deborah, why don't we go ask the coffee shop employee?" "Good idea, Bob! They know everything!" "Yes they do, Deborah. Yes they do." ... "Excuse me, miss? Could you tell us where the vague restaurant is?" "Oh I'm sorry, I'm not sure!" "... what do you MEAN you're not sure?!?!?!?!?!?"

Drinks

"Gee employee, I know that caramel macchiato isn't on your menu, but I really want one so could you make one for me?" "Oh I'm so sorry, I don't know how to make that." "Hmm. The OTHER worker made it for me." "Oh I'm really sorry, but I don't know what a caramel macchiato is." "... what do you MEAN you don't know what it is?!?!?!?!?!?"

Random Facts

"Gee employee, Bob and I really want to go to the car show in the next county. Is that this weekend?" "Oh I'm sorry, I'm not sure." "... YOU BITCH!"

"Gee employee, I would really love to know if the world is gonna end in 2012. Could you tell me?" "Actually, I do know. It's not going to end in 2012, because-" "SHUN THE NONBELIEVER!!!!!"

I love my job. I really do! But sometimes people annoy the shit out of me.

So the next time you want to know some random information, please don't ask an innocent employee...

Contrary to popular belief, we're not superheros.

We're just human.

Now excuse me, I have to go fight some unidentified dark force in an incredibly unflattering costume.

Less than three,

~ Summer

p.s. what are some common misconceptions about YOUR profession? Let us know in the comments or our facebook page!

1 comment: