The Life and Times of Sayuri, Summer, and Regette

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

This post is dedicated to my Sugar-poo-pumpkin-pie-puddin’-pop-love-um’s (Honey)- Reg

My fiancé (…let’s call this person Honey…) and I are tired of all these over-used clichés that are “terms-of endearment.” Just because couples are not usually capable of independent thought does not excuse us of unoriginality! I’ve heard "Babe" and "Sexy" more times than I care to count. To try and spark the creativity of others, I have compiled a list of all the endearments I could think of (instead of studying). I have separated them into the four categories that for some ancient and unknown reason are the only four acceptable categories that terms of endearment come from. Perhaps someone can benefit from the list and use the exotic “Mi Amor” or nauseatingly-sentimental “light-of my-life” once in a while, and give the “Babe”s and “Sexy”s a well-deserved rest.


Food related

Sugar-pie-honey bunch
Puddin’ Pop
Puddin’ Pie
Sweet Pea
Cookie
Sugar
Honey
Apple-of-my-eye
Sweetie
Sweetheart
Sugar Plum
Pumpkin
Pumpkin Pie

Animals

Pet
Love bird
Pigeon
*name* + poo
Poo bear
Fox
Kitten

Physical description

Angel
Beautiful
My lovely
My pretty
Cutie
Doll
Baby Doll

Symbolic depictions of love and marriage

Dearest-to-my-heart
My heart
My-other-half
Light-of-my-life
My light
My life
Love-of-my-life
Love-ums
My lovely
My love
Love
Love of my life
Dear
Dearie
Blessed -precious
Precious
Baby
Baby Doll
Mi Amor

After producing this comprehensive list of gushy, fluffy, love, I had to ask myself a few questions:

         Why is it that my “Pet” is alright, but my “B****” is not? Why not my “Okapi”?
         Why would anyone want to be called “Pumpkin,” which is a giant, bulbous squash?
         Why is “Lady” so creepy?
         Why is the only character from Winnie the Poo on the list “Poo-Bear?” Why isn’t it OK for me to call Honey “Kanga” or “Piglet”?
         Why “Pigeon”? They aren’t even cute.


The conclusion: Love turns ordinary, intelligent humans beings into oxytocin-doped morons that use nonsensical syllables and cheesy nick-names instead of the beautiful name his/her significant other’s parents gave them.

Make me a damn sandwich, Okapi!-
Regette "au contraire" Henesey

No comments:

Post a Comment