The Life and Times of Sayuri, Summer, and Regette

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What's in a name?--Regette smells like vanilla (she hopes) and will continue to smell so whatever name she's called

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."-Romeo and Juliet

I am not ashamed to admit that I frequent the local Starbucks (but have recently found a better and cheaper local joint that Summer works at). Anyway, on busy days, the barista always asks for names.

So, in telling the barista a name, sometimes he spells it wrong. Sometimes, he mishears a name and gives you a new, hilarious-but-similar-sounding one.

And sometimes Summer, Sayuri and I just make names up.

Which leads me to a hypothetical situation that has been pressing on my mind--What if the barista is hot? What if the barista is hot and I return to that Starbucks again? What do I say my name is?

I see only three options to this scenario:

1) I tell him my real name and hope he has forgotten my fake name.

The problem with this is: what if he remembers? Then I am just the crazy chick that thinks her name is Aurora some days and Regette other days.

2) I give him the fake name again. and again. and again.

How long do I continue to give him the fake name? What if I miraculously are asked for my phone number? Am I doomed to be known as Odette our entire (imaginary) relationship? It would be considerably awkward to introduce him to the parent and have him call me the name of a Disney Princess.

However, the hilarity might distract my dad enough to give the barista a moment to run before Dad can finish loading his gun.


3) I give him a different fake name.

This is reminiscent of the first option, but I'd try to make fake names a running joke. My strategy for barista-wooing would have to be considerably longer though, because for a joke to run I'd have to tell him different Disney Princess names at least 4 or 5 times.

Then, of course, he might think I'm the bizarre girl who knows way too much about Disney Princess...

Oh well. At least it is only hypothetical....

For now....

Your butterfly,
Regette

P.S. Any advice on the hypothetical scenario would be greatly appreciated. Please leave a comment.

1 comment:

  1. Regette, you could go with option 1 and give him your real name so that you do not have to deal with having to stress over giving him fake names every time you talk to him. However if he happens to remember your first fake name then you can simply tell him he is confusing you with someone else. =)
    -Ameretta

    ReplyDelete